Well, I am a little behind but I do have an update.
I have noticed that my Hotmail email is not being updated when it should on my iPhone. It is only updating when I open the email application. So, I did some digging. Apple and Microsoft have updated the Hotmail email type to use ActiveSync. This is what the Exchange email type was doing for Hotmail that I previously wrote about. It was not a true IMAP, but an ActiveSync.
Now the question I would have if I was you is how do I set it up? Well, it is very simple. Follow the steps below:
4. Enter your full Hotmail (or the new Outlook.com) email address and password. In the Description field, enter a name so you can identify this account when you check your email (for example, “Hotmail”).
Why is this such a great thing. IMAP makes it so that when you read an email on your phone then it will show up as read when you login to your hotmail account from a computer, and vice versa.
It is very simple to setup.
- Go to Settings – Mail, Contact, Calendars
- Click on Add Account…
- Choose Microsoft Exchange
- Fill in the fields shown (Leave domain blank and your login should be your email address)
- Click next and it will ask for server. Use m.hotmail.com
- Choose if you want your email, contacts or calendar synced.
Update for Android users:
1. Open the Mail app.
2. Hit the menu button > Add account
3. Enter your hotmail e-mail address and password.
4. Press Manual setup (don’t press Next!)
5. For account, select Exchange.
6. On the Server settings page, clear out the DomainUsername field and enter your hotmail address.
7. Change the Server to m.hotmail.com (without the quotes).
8. Keep the checkboxes the way they are (Use secure connection enabled, but don’t accept all SSL certificates)
9. Press Next.
10. Once the server settings are confirmed, you’ll be asked for how far back you’d like to sync your e-mail, contacts and calendars.